Are traineeships possible for the surveying industry?
Here at 1300apprentice, we think they are. Like a number of other industries that we work across, it is no surprise to us that the surveying industry is also struggling to attract young people. An alternative solution for your business could be via a traineeship scheme whereby you have the opportunity to attract a school leaver into your business and expose them to the benefits of working in this industry.
As a Group Training Organisation (GTO) we are committed to assisting businesses with an alternative form of recruitment that allows businesses to up-skill young workers and help young workers enter their chosen industry with a desire to be trained on-the-job.
(Please note that the information provided is written based entirely on new entrant workers rather than existing workers).
The traineeship, a Certificate III Surveying and Spatial Information Services is an 18-month traineeship and is suitable for an entry level role. 1300apprentice targets this type of traineeship at school leavers with minimal to no experience in the industry. Majority of the candidates range between 18 to 20 years of age.
Training is predominantly on-the-job with an option to complete off-the-job units of competency by attending TAFE one day a week or via online. Depending on where the trainee attends TAFE, there may also be some Saturday training.
Trainees must demonstrate competency in 11 units in total. Seven of these are core units and covers areas such as map presentation principles, collect, store and retrieve spatial data, perform spatial computations and read and interpret maps.
Further information on the course can be found on the TAFE NSW website. Click on the TAFE link: www.tafensw.edu.au/search?q=surveyor
What are the benefits?
- A trainee gains practical experience in the workplace whilst also completing a nationally recognised qualification;
- There are opportunities for trainees to continue their studies through higher qualifications once completing the Certificate III including consideration towards a university pathway;
- This is an opportunity for businesses to expose someone younger to the industry who may not have initially thought of a career in this field;
- Further benefits are available to host employers if you choose to utilise the services of a Group Training Organisation (GTO) such as 1300apprentice.
Obligations of the employer
- To provide on-the-job training that aligns to the Registered Training Organisation (RTO) theory and allows them to meet the requirements of their trade or qualification;
- Ensure that the trainee is instructed and supervised by a person who is competent in their chosen trade or qualification;
- Provide a safe working environment.
Trainees can be paid under the National Training Wage Schedule for Modern Awards unless the parent award provides specific provisions for traineeships in this industry.
There are Federal incentives payable to employees if taking on the employment of a full-time new entrant worker. For further details about incentives contact an Australian Apprenticeship Centre. www.australianapprenticeships.gov.au
Who is 1300apprentice
1300apprentice is a not-for-profit group training organisation (GTO) dedicated to upskilling people through nationally recognised qualifications in apprentice or traineeship pathways.
We take on all legal employer responsibilities (contractual arrangements) of the trainee for the duration of the 18-month traineeship and facilitate the process including:
- Recruitment – you decide who you want to employ – the final decision rests with you;
- Rotation of the trainee to another host employer on your behalf if your business no longer requires a trainee;
- Invoice for productive time and RTO hours only – this allows you to match costs to income and better assists your cash flow;
- We liaise with the RTO on any queries and progress of off-the-job units of competency;
- The trainee sits on our worker’s compensation rather than your own.
For further information on the services provided by 1300apprentice please contact us on (02) 9715 7344.
Traineeships may not be the answer for your business and this article was written with the intent to provide a little more information on how it works and provide an alternative option that may be suitable.