Preparation for interviews
How do you make a good impression and feel confident in an interview? Below are some tips to help you prepare for that important interview.
- Do your homework – research the company and also know everything about the trade or qualification you are interested in
- First impressions count – be punctual
- Take pride in your appearance – dress appropriately – no torn jeans, bare midriffs or thongs
- Big no no – don’t chew gum in your interview and turn your mobile phone off
- Greet people in a friendly manner – shake hands and remember to smile
- Be attentive to what people are saying – listen carefully
- You’re not expected to be experienced – but that you will learn to become an experienced worker
- Answer questions with as much information as you can – answers such as a simple “yes”, “no” or “maybe” are not enough
- Show your interest in the position – ask questions
- End the interview by thanking the interviewer for their time – shake hands and leaving confidently
- Practice makes perfect – practice typical interview type questions with a family member or friend.