WH&S – manual handling tips
Know the rules and take the time to build up good habits around each and every task you do.
Here is a hit list of tips for you to keep the front of mind:
- Determine any risk and what you will need to do to safely complete a task;
- Clear a pathway before you move something;
- Use proper equipment;
- Check weight. Never attempt to lift or carry loads you think are too heavy. Ask for help. Learn to lift as a team;
- Take frequent breaks;
- Take your time – injuries can happen when tasks are rushed;
- Lift with your knees bent, don’t stoop over an object, use the strength of your legs, hold objects close and tighten the stomach muscles;
- Warm up your muscles with gentle stretches before engaging in any manual work;
- Pushing loads (using your body weight to assist) will be less stressful on your body than pulling a load;
- Organise the work area to reduce the amount of bending, twisting and stretching required.
The most important tip for manual handling is to use your common sense.